Thursday, March 29, 2012

Preemie Hats

A HUGE "Thank You" to the knitters at Fibre Space who worked with Project Knitwell to produce these wonderful caps that will be donated to the MedStar Georgetown University Hospital NICU where I work:


Aren't they amazing???

Carol Caparosa and her wonderful volunteers run Project Knitwell-- a program that uses knitting as therapy-- for patients and their families, for parents of hospitalized infants and children, and for the nurses who care for them. I've participated in several of the nursing "sit and knits", and really wish that my schedule allowed me to spend more time with them. I have been fortunate enough to be able to help some of "our moms" with projects they've been working on. Carol meets with "our moms" to teach them to knit simple caps and other projects for their babies during the long hours they spend in hospital. As they progress to more complicated projects, Carol has been kind enough to use me as a resource. I love helping them to learn to read patterns and show new stitches and techniques.

Carol's focus on knitting as therapy has helped me, as I went through a difficult time recently with the death of one of my patients. I found myself unable to focus on anything, so picked up the needles and started knitting. I was good on theory, but had forgotten the reality of knitting as therapy.

Fibre Space is a wonderful knit and crochet shop in Alexandria. Fantastic yarn and really great people. Fibre Space has partnered with Project Knitwell to provide resources and an opportunity for Alexandria area knitters to do some outreach. What a wonderful partnership!

No comments: