Monday, November 14, 2016

Wonderful Wedding Weekend

What's Up?

My nephew (one of my multiple nephews) was married this weekend, to a lovely young lady.

As usually happens at family gatherings, we had a wonderful time- joking around, sharing recent experiences, discussing the election and the World Series (sad that we can't claim a World Series win in the family,) and generally catching up on ours lives.  I represented The Husband and The Offspring, as they were all very tied up.  We do everything we can to all be there, but sometimes it can't be.  This is most of the family-- we were missing 12 people.


My sister-in-law, the groom's mom, liked the Light the Night shawl, for which I am grateful.  She is such a fantastic person -loving and caring, and organized out the kazoo- giving my new niece a lot of help and advice in planning the wedding.  Her caring continued throughout the weekend with my brother, as they ensured that we were all taken care of.  I spent a little time at their house before going to the airport, and she sent me off with a brown paper lunch bag with a sandwich and cheetos.   Such a thoughtful gesture...

Travels were gentle.  On the way to Omaha, both legs were offering really good incentives for volunteers to be bumped.  I got on my cellphone and checked the upcoming flights, only to find that all the flights were booked, and there was no way I would make it to the wedding.  The same thing happened in St. Louis on the way home, and I would have been glad to, but a young lady jumped up and ran to the counter as soon as they made the announcement.  I wasn't up for a battle.

In My Head

I'm on a break from Facebook.  I just can't deal with some of the craziness, and I'm afraid of engaging and posting something I'll regret later.  My trust is that the democratic system that has worked for us for over two centuries will prevail, that the president-elect will appoint good people, and follow the counsel of those who know what they are talking about, that he will listen, and act in the best interest of the people of our nation.

On the Needles

While flying, I made some progress on the "Just Keep Swimming" socks.  I want to finish them, because there are a lot of other things I'd like to get started on (and probably a few UFOs from years past that need to be finished.)

What I've Learned

Gerald Ford was born in Omaha.

Paradise By the Dashboard Light (Meatloaf) came out while I was stationed in Norfolk, and I totally missed it.

I still love the Midwest.




No comments: