Monday, November 14, 2005

I'm Not Dead-- Only I Almost Got Killed

But that's not the reason I haven't blogged. We're having massive discontent in our computers. I've tried what I know to get it fixed, so now we need to find time for The Husband to work his computer magic. (The Offspring will both be home for Thanksgiving, so maybe they can get stuff working.)

Oh yeah-- the almost getting killed part.

I was thrilled to be off work on Friday, even though I was on call. I got to sleep a couple of extra hours, and got a bit done around the house. Then the phone rang. I needed to come in and do a couple of ambulance transports. So off I went. As I was driving along Sherwood Hall Lane (which is how one gets over to the GW Parkway if one doesn't go all the way down to Mount Vernon) a big white pickup truck swerved across the yellow line and was coming straight at me.

I stopped, because if he was going to hit me, I didn't want my velocity adding to the problem, and I laid on the horn. The truck swerved away, and as he passed me, I saw that the driver was slumped against the window. I remember thinking, "that doesn't look good." (It didn't take being a nurse to come to that conclusion, I'm sure.)

I saw him continue to curve to his right, hit the curb and flip the truck. It was laying on its side with the driver door down. I drove to the Fire Station which is about another block, rang the doorbell, and told the people about the flipped truck. Then I ran back to the pickup truck, and the guy wasn't moving at all. One of the bystanders thought we should break the windshield, but I suggested that since the fire department was on their way, that we should let them handle it. Apparently a good idea, since they determined that it was unstable, and they needed to right the vehicle before they could attend to the victim.

I gave my statement to the police, and then needed to get to work.

I don't know how he didn't hit me.

I don't know if he fell asleep or had a heart attack or stroke, or a seizure or what.

I don't know if he's alive or not.

I do know that I was protected by the grace of God that gets me through every day, and guarded by the angels who for whatever reason, deem to watch over me.

And I am thankful.


Maeve said...

OMG!!! So glad you made it out ok - what a scary experience!!!

Carol said...

What time was this? There was a huge accident reconstruction thing on Sherwood Hall Lane that they were cleaning up when we came through on our way to dialysis (because it's faster for us to take Ft. Hunt to Sherwood Hall Lane to Rte. 1 than to go straight down Rte. 1)

Liz Cadorette said...

Oh, Laura, I am SO glad you're okay! What a terrifying experience to have to go through!

You did right to leave the patient in the vehicle -- until a vehicle is stabilized in a situation like that, you can put yourself at really high risk trying to help. Still, I know how hard that is to do when you have medical training, so good for you to keep your wits about you!

Miss you.

Rossana said...

Oh my goodness, Nurse Laura! Yes, there are angels above watching over you. Thank heavens! How very scary! Glad you are safe. And I hope that driver is, too.

Erin said...

Holy Cow!! I'm so glad that you're alright!! You can always call the fire department you had respond to the call and they can let you know what happened. Wow. Unbelievable!!