Friday, December 14, 2007

Cookie Baking Time

I'm in the Chicago suburbs right now, with The Daughter. We flew in yesterday to spend some time with my sibs for our annual Cookie Bake.

It's a great time of the year, and a wonderful opportunity to be together.

I wrote last year about the tradition, but I don't think I mentioned our little Cookie Book.

Sister #1 was able to spend time with my grandmother in her later years, and collected her recipes. Of course there were some ambiguities, but over the past few seasons we've been able to iron out the bugs.

We made little laminated books with the recipes, and included a few anecdotes about our memories of Gramma's cookies.

Tomorrow's the day. We'll start at about 10:00. We're meeting at Sister #2's, and to quote my Austrian Gramma "All day ve bake."

We'll wrap up late in the evening, sorting the cookies into 10 family divisions and carefully packing them up for mailing or transport.

There's nothing like it.

No comments: