Thursday, November 03, 2016

New Beginnings

What's Up?

When I last posted, I was considering retirement.  I did make the decision to retire, and it was the right decision.  Being a nurse is stressful, and we cope in different ways.  I recalled several times when I comforted some of our youngsters, handing them tissues to handle their tears.  They'd apologize, to which I would respond, "When you stop crying, it's time to move on."  I'd been through some pretty wrenching situations, and then, I stopped crying.  It was time to follow my advice.

Writing has been important to me throughout my life, and I continue to write, although I lack the discipline needed for consistent production.  It's been a long time since I've blogged regularly, but I've been thinking about it, and was inspired by a Facebook posting from Rosemary, a friend from the Knit Happens days --  (mis) adventures of spindlerose.

So I'm going to attempt to blog daily through November.  We'll see how it goes.

In My Head

It's the last day of this year, for me.  Tomorrow I increment my age again. The goals that I set for myself these days are not huge.  I try to stay active and healthy, involved and interested, productive and continually inquisitive.

I'm watching the World Series with two of my favorite teams.  I'm favoring Cleveland, because my brother runs the ballpark, although I've been a Cubs fan since childhood.  It's been fun, liking both teams, because I'm ok with it, either way, despite my leanings.
Late entry: Cubs won.  I'm ok with it, but not as ok as I'd like.
And then there's the upcoming election.  I just don't know what to think as I see appalling things from both major candidates.  Facebook is full of vitriol, and I mostly ignore what I see.  Prayer has never been more important.  Thank heaven for baseball, or I might be truly bonkers by now.  Prayer and baseball-- the two constants.

On My Needles

I am LauraRN on Ravelry.  Details of my projects including pattern links, yarn, needle sizes, etc are on my project page.  If you want more info on my projects, please stop by, and be my friend.

Right now I'm getting ready to continue the second "Just Keep Swimming" sock for Niece #2.  She had a baby about 2 months ago.  The baby is home and stable, but has a significant issue that will require ongoing care, and possibly surgery.  I was really grateful to be able to give background info to her, based on my NICU experience.  The nurses in NICU and a specialty unit at Lurie Children's Hospital made a sign for his crib with Finding Dory -- "Just Keep Swimming."


So when I saw a pattern on Facebook for "Just Keep Swimming Socks," they needed to be made for #2 niece.  I bought some really great yarn at Wool Workshop in Roanoke, and started to make pretty decent progress, but then realized that the multicolored yarn had long runs of dark purple and blue that caused the fish pattern to disappear. The picture shows some discernable fish, but as I continued in the pattern, they truly disappeared.  Not to worry.  After frogging, the beautiful wool will become socks for The Daughter.

Before purchasing the yarn at Wool Workshop, I had ordered yarn from Craftsy-  which seems to be preserving the fiddies a bit better.  Sock #1 is complete, and I'm through the first pattern on #2.
Off My Needles

Awhile back, I started a "Grandmother Shawl" for one of my sisters, who-- imagine this-- became a grandmother.  After finishing, I decided it wasn't long enough, then discovered that the yarn had disappeared from the face of the earth.  Yes, I checked with the website where I got it.  Yes, I checked all the stashes on Ravelry.  Yes, I checked eBay.  The colorway was just too lovely for this earth, and everyone who ever had it has either knit it up, or is holding on to it for dear life.  So the lovely shawl I started is now a rather large lap blanket.  It will find a good home.

I came upon the Philosopher's Stone KAL on Ravelry, and felt up for some mystery.  The pattern is by Erica Jackovsky of Fiddle Knits, and was knit with KnitPicks Stroll Glimmer in Peacock.  As the shawl took shape, I realized how much joy it gave me.  It has everything- lace, cables, beads, loveliness.  The shawl turned out nicely, and my sister is happy with it.
What do we do when the stuff hits the fan?  We knit.

One of my sisters-in-law had a battle with lymphoma 5 years ago, and was doing great.  She is now facing a recurrence.  Her incredibly positive attitude is an example to anyone facing adversity. My wonderful brother is great support, and their offspring have been handling the situation with the grace that can only come from the steadfast example of their parents. The family participates each October in the annual "Light the Night" walk to raise awareness of leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood cancers.  Around the same time, she updated her What Friend Do blog. So what did I do when I read the news?  I trotted myself out to get some yarn to knit.  Lymphoma's "color" is lime green. Since my modus operandi seems to be making shawls for major events, I decided that a "Light the Night Shawl" was in order.  I remembered Carolyn Wiens'  Light and Up shawl, and adapted it liberally.
Completed but not blocked- Picture shows colors a bit more yellow.

Earlier- in progress-  Colors are more true


What I Learned Today
Dorito tacos are pretty good- especially when they're free.
Sort of close doesn't work when soldering. You can't fix a bad join.
I never get tired of seeing my brother behind home plate at an Indians game.

Also In My Life:
Things to address in the future or from time to time

Metalsmithing

Travel

Reading and Listening


No comments: