Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hey, I'm a Knitter, Right?

And my blog doesn't always reflect it too well, but today is mostly knitting.

Cast Off


The Tilted Duster skirt, as mentioned the other day, is cast off. If you look closely, you'll see that the skirt was picked up around the stockinette top fronts and back. I need to finish the sleeves, which are about 2/3 done. I'm becoming a bit more careful in my knitting, and I will make sure that the sleeves fit it properly where they belong. Then I need to pick up the collar and knit rows and rows of 2X2 ribbing.

Cast On
I've been doing a lot of work in the house, and while decluttering, and assembling furniture, and cleaning, I've been listening to the Brenda Dayne's Cast Onpodcasts. I downloaded them, and have been listening to Brenda while working. To give you an idea of my progress, I'm on podcast number 47 right now. There were about 6 that didn't download, but since each podcast is about 1 hour long, you get a clue of how much domestic work I've been up to.

(Interestingly - in episode 37, I think- Stephanie Pearl McPhee- The Yarn Harlot pops in, and says that she had been listening to the podcasts in series while working on her home. I'm in such good company.)

Since she's been keeping me company with knitting tips, history, culture, music deep thoughts and so forth, I decided to visit the sponsor links. One of these is Briar Rose Fibers. I went to the website, and saw the bee-yoo-tiful yarns. They're pretty lovely. I'm a sucker for a free pattern, and their Rosebud Shawl called out to me.

It's a very easy 4-row repeat that makes lovely little rosebud-looking things-- hence the name. You can see them better if you click on the picture below to enlarge it. Unfortunately, I'm not clever enough to figure out how to include the picture you see on the pattern. I don't want to link directly to it, because that's not nice. I was able to copy the picture, but I can't save it as a bitmap or jpeg. It must be formatted differently from the pics I'm used to copying and sharing. If you don't have enough to do, and have time to figure it out, please let me know.

I've had 3 skeins of Lorna's Lace Lion and Lamb, won in an online contest, burning a hole in my stash basket. (Well, truth be told, it was in one of my numerous stash baskets, boxes and bins-- which is why I didn't buy any of the bee-yoo-tiful yarns. But I plan to, as soon as I knit up some more of what I have, and can therefore justify it.)

So I decided to cast on.

What?

I've just told you that I'm within spitting distance of completing the Tilted Duster, and I'm casting on a new project?

Before you lament my ADD, there is actually method in my madness. Since we're going to Jacksonville for the weekend, I need something to knit while travelling. (ACC Championship-- remember? I can't totally ignore football in this blog entry, after all...) The Tilted Duster is just getting too big to schlep.

So I started on the Rosebud Shawl. The yarn is doing some interesting things. It's turning out to be a bit brighter knit up than it appeared in the skein. I think it'll work, though.

Let's Go Hokies!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that lion and lamb is gorgeous!! it will be beautiful as the rosebud shawl. but you better finish that tilted duster soon!

hope to see you tomorrow!

Jane said...

Sorry i haven't visited for a few days, been busy with looking at a new car. I love your mittens and tilted duster, hope the Hokies win when you go to watch the game, I love the colour of the new project. Jane x

Kristina B said...

Ah, Laura - you are the person with the beautiful multicolour Tilted Duster!

Thanks for your kind comment on the blog. I guess Canadians become creative because there's nothing better to do on those long winter nights... :-)

Your blog is excellent too. As for the answer to the question you pose at the top, I vote for "knitter who does nursing". I myself am a knitter/crafter who practices law to support the yarn habit... :-)